Once have undergone Tongue Piercing, it is very important to take care of your tongue for first few weeks until tongue healing process is complete.
Tongue Piercing Aftercare Tips
Here are some tongue piercing aftercare tips in order to aid the process of healing, reduce the discomfort and avoid infection :
1. Clean your tongue piercing regularly by rinsing 8-10 times a day for atleast 2 weeks till the healing process is completed. Use sea salt rinse or mouthwash for rinsing the piercing. After that twice a day rinsing may suffice.
2. Saturated sea salt solution should be placed with sterilized gauze over the piercing for 5-10 minutes 3-4 times a day for the first week to aid the healing process. Tablet salt or Epsom salt should be avoided.
3. Avoid alcohol as it dehydrates the mucosa, eventually leading to some infection.
4. Avoid hydrogen peroxide, antibacterial ointments as these can kill the cells and hamper the process of healing. Opt for antibacterial lozenges to suck on so that you can avoid infection.
5. Tea tree oil and emu oil can be used as these provide a soothing effect to the healing tongue wound.
6. The tongue piercing should be cleaned with generous amounts of liquid soap and warm water.
7. Always wash your hands before touching the piercing. Dirty hands can be source of infection.
8. Dry your piercing with disposable paper tissue.
9. Don’t rotate the jewelry before the healing is complete as this can become a portal for the bacteria present on the surface of the jewelry to enter the wound.
10. For the first few days swelling, bleeding and pain are anticipated. This is quite normal. To reduce the swelling, apply ice on the piercing. Avoid any hot or spicy food. Any over the counter pain killer can be taken which will reduce the pain and swelling. Avoid taking aspirin. Take care not to bite the tongue as you eat due to its larger size.
11. Take soft foods and liquid diet (mashed potatoes,soups,broths,milkshakes) for atleast 1 week after tongue piercing. Avoid spicy and crunchy foods. Avoid tea, coffee and hot beverages.
12. Avoid playing with the jewelry; this can cause trauma to the tissues.
13. Avoid excessive talking. This will give rest to the tongue and fasten healing.
14. Avoid kissing and oral sex during the healing period.
15. Don’t remove the jewelry during the healing period as the wound can close. After the healing is complete the jewelry should be removed to clean it thoroughly.
16. Use a soft bristle brush and floss regularly to keep a good oral hygiene. It is better to use a mild toothpaste after tongue piercing. Do not let any debris or calculus collect around the jewelry.
17. Follow the instructions of the piercer and practice proper tongue piercing aftercare tips until the wound heals