Sometimes whatever amounts of care that you take might not guard you from allergies that might strike you at the dentist. Also, some people are more susceptible to these then others.
Latex Induced Allergies
The most common allergy that one could get at the dentist is those that are induced by use of latex and rubber gloves and surgical masks. Healthcare providers such as nurses and dentists develop these allergies most of the times. This is because they are exposed to the particles constantly. More and more dentists are realizing this and have moved to the use of gloves and other oral care materials that are non-latex.
Allergies from Anesthetics
When you are at the dentists you are bound to be given anesthetics and without realizing it some patients might be allergic to these or develop an allergic reaction to one of the chemicals that was used in the anesthetics. There are chances that the anesthetic might induce a greater heart rate when first administered to the patient. A patient might also break out into an allergic reaction such as rashes, itching, or blotches of reddened skin.
Before that anesthetics is administered the dentist and support staff must ensure that they have made all note of the things that the patient might be allergic too and taken all due precautions.
The main thing that goes the allergy are the preservatives that are in use in the anesthetics. Therefore, dentists are using dental anesthetics that are preservative free such as Citanest, Plain Xylocaine and Carbocaine.
Allergies Due to Amalgam
Although an amalgam allergy is not the norm and is not often seen there is certainly a likelihood of it occurring in a few patients. When this happens that surrounding area becomes red and swollen. The mercury compounds that are in the amalgam and released are known to cause these. If this allergic reaction is not taken care of and addressed immediately, then it might lead to dangerous levels of illness.
The main criteria in which you can divide the allergies that you might get at the dentist are:
1. Allergies that are caused due to the dental materials that have been used for the treatment.
2. Allergies to the medicines that have been used before, during and after the treatment.
3. Allergies to the over the counter drugs that that the patient might have used
Although there are millions of patients who receive dental care without any allergic reaction, there is a small iota of patients who might have an allergic reaction to any of the above stated variants.
There are a few patients who are sensitive to these products and they must take due care to ensure that they do not fall a prey to dental allergies. The patient needs to take as much onus and responsibility as the dentist and dental staff to ensure that they are free from all allergies after their dental treatment. What they go home with should be a lovely smile and teeth.