The majority of patients with this habit don’t even know that they have this habit. But most patients present with these problems:
1. Malocclusion can occur in children who have a habit of grinding their teeth since they develop a particular way of closing their mouth.
2. Temporomandibular joint(TMJ) problems are commonly associated with bruxism, since lots of stress of clenching of jaws is transmitted to the TMJ.
3. Senstivity of teeth is a common finding in patients who have a severe habit of teeth grinding. This occurs due to loss of surface enamel structures resulting in exposure of the dentinal surface.
4. Attrition is one of the major effects of bruxism. It means wearing down of the incisal surface or occlusal surface of the teeth, particularly the incisal edges of the anterior teeth and the cusps of the posterior teeth.
5. Teeth grinding makes the teeth brittle and they tend to easily chip off or fracture.
6. General problem of teeth grinding is that lots of noise is produced due to this habit, which may disrupt the sleep of the partner.
7. Loosening of teeth from their sockets
Free Dental Consultation