Longevity of dental crown is 10-15 years. If proper care is taken and meticulous oral hygiene is maintained by the patient, then the dental crown may last even longer. Patient needs to follow certain instructions after getting temporary dental crown and permanent dental crown. During tooth preparation dentin of the tooth is exposed which may cause ingress of harmful substances through dentin into pulp, sensitivity to hot and cold food stuffs, unaesthetic appearance in case of anterior tooth. To prevent this temporary dental crown is needed to be given after tooth preparation. Temporary dental crown avoid sensitivity to hot and cold food stuffs and prevent any food accumulation around the prepared tooth. Temporary dental crowns also prevent the prepared teeth and teeth adjacent to prepared teeth from shifting.
If proper care of dental crown is not taken, then it can lead to various problems after dental crown placement. Decay of tooth, inflammation of tissues which are surrounding the crowned tooth, gingival recession, change of color of dental crown can occur if patient doesn’t take care of his dental crown. Immediately after getting dental crown, certain precautions need to be observed and for long term, patient has to maintain good oral hygiene for longevity of dental crown and to avoid any complications after getting dental crown.
If temporary dental crown comes off, then patient should visit his dentist as soon as possible. Dentist will suggest you following things if the temporary dental crown comes off.
1. After the cementation of permanent dental crown, patient should not chew hard foods for a day because permanent cement takes 24 hours to set completely.
2. Initially mild sensitivity to hot & cold may be present which is relieved gradually in few weeks after getting permanent dental crown.
3. To increase the life of dental crowns, patient should maintain good oral hygiene.
a) Patient should do Tooth brushing regularly. Tooth brushing should be done after breakfast in the morning and should be done at night before sleeping. Tooth brushing should be done minimum 2 times a day.
b) Patient should do Flossing to remove the plaque and calculus deposits which are present interdentally.
c) Mouth rinsing with a mouthwash once daily preferably at night before sleeping. Mouth wash is a chemical adjunct to removal of plaque and calculus deposits from the teeth and is to be used along with mechanical method of plaque removal that is along with tooth brushing and flossing.
4. It may require few days to adjust with the permanent dental crown. Initially high point may be felt by the patient and it may take few days to chew properly with a permanent dental crown.
5. Patient should visit the dentist regularly at least every six months so that any problem around the crown can be detected at an early stage and corrected easily as if the problem aggravates, it may require crown replacement.
6. If permanent crown comes off, you should contact the dentist immediately. Dentist will give you instructions to follow and advise you to get it cemented again as soon as possible.
Free Dental Consultation