Lumineers are a type of porcelain veneers made of special type of porcelain called Cerinate porcelain. Cerinate porcelain is very strong so veneers made from this type of porcelain can be made ultrathin having thickness of just 0.2-0.3mm which is comparable to that of a contact lens. But their use is not widespread as till now technique is available with just one corporation called Denmat Corporation. Very little or no tooth reduction is required for the placement of Lumineers because they are ultrathin. As no tooth reduction is required so there is no need to give local anesthesia even. So lumineer placement is called “no drilling, no shots” technique of veneer placement.
1. No drilling or very minimal amount of drilling and no anesthesia is required for their placement.
2. No sound tooth structure has to be removed.
3. There is no need for temporary restoration until lumineers are being fabricated in the dental lab.
4. Placement of Lumineers is a reversible process if no tooth reduction has been done for their placement i.e. patient can discontinue wearing them if he is not satisfied with them.
1. There is a limit to which esthetic correction can be accomplished because very little tooth reduction has to be done. So, significant change cannot be brought about in the shape of the tooth.
2. Patient may feel the bulk of the veneer as no tooth reduction is done for their placement.
3. Very few cosmetic dentists are available offering placement of Lumineers.
Free Dental Consultation