CAVITY!!! This is such a word that can scare anyone!!!! But a timely visit to a DENTIST can save us from the damage of our tooth. Dental filling or a restoration is packing or placing of dental material into the cavity to prevent its further decay. A timely filling can act as a "TOOTH SAVER", without which the tooth would get grossly decayed leading to more painful procedures like Root canal treatment, Extraction (removal of tooth from socket), prosthesis (fixed or removable), implants etc.
1. Relieves dental anxiety
2. Less traumatic to the patient since there is no use of dental hand piece
3. No heat generation
4. Perfect for pediatric patients (children) who fear to visit a dentist and have minimal decay
5. No requirement of anesthesia
6. No sound, vibration or pressure
7. Helps to have a conservative approach in saving the tooth structure
8. Better isolation as working area is dry, so good retention of the filling material
9. Reduced microfracture or chipping of the tooth
10. Simple and quick procedure
11. Better patient compliance
Can cause tooth sensitivity in some patients
Only composite filling material can be used after air abrasion as it adheres well to the tooth surface
Not recommended for deep cavities
In this a fine stream of particles is aimed at the decayed portion of the tooth. This stream of particles is propelled towards the tooth surface by compressed air or gas that runs through the dental hand piece.
This stream of particles is made from a mixture of silica particles, aluminium oxide and baking soda. This stream removes the decayed portion of the tooth to give a clean cavity for the placement of dental filling material.
It is a very safe and patient friendly procedure. We just need to keep a few things in mind before starting the procedure. these are-
1. Use of isolation methods like rubber dam
2. Use of eye glasses to prevent any damage from air spray
3. Applying a layer of protective resin to the adjacent teeth and gums
Free Dental Consultation