Glass Ionomer Fillings (GIC) - These are also used as tooth colored fillings. They do not come in many shades and are therefore not suitable for front teeth. They are not strong as composites and therefore limited in their use to small cavities or parts of tooth which are not stress bearing. They have an advantage that they contain flouride which prevent decay.
PORCELAIN (INLAYS AND ONLAYS)
True porcelain fillings are called inlays and onlays.
INLAYS fit in the cavity less than 1/3rd the width of the tooth.
ONLAYS support or replace the cusp tips.
BENEFITS OF WHITE FILLINGS:
- They come in range of shades, so the dentist is able to match the color of your own teeth
- They can be used to reshape or rebuild teeth that are broken or have been worn down
- They require less cavity prepration.
DISADVANTAGES OF WHITE FILLINGS:
They are not as strong as silver fillings:so they may not be suitable for large fillings in back teeth.
TEMPORARY FILLINGS CAN ALSO COME UNDER WHITE FILLINGS
A person may also receive a temporary filling which can be white, off white or gray.
This is done because:
- The treatment may require more than one appointment.
- The dentist wants you to wait for a short period of time for the tooth to heal.
- You have a deep cavity and the pulp becomes exposed during the treatment.
The temporary fillings are just that.They do not last long.They usually fall out, fracture or wear out within a month or two.They are not considered as a long lasting treatment. So next time you have a decayed tooth.. go for a white colored or tooth colored fillings Ispite of those black ugly looking silver ones..as white colored are more aesthetic and adds to your personality.