Temporomandibular joint disorder is a serious ailment that can damage not only the jaws but other parts of the body as well. It can cause pain not only on the affected area itself but also to the entire body. Luckily, various TMJ exercises can relieve the pain and help the patient avoid expensive operations that are designed to correct such conditions. They are very easy to do. Here are some of those exercises as follows.
Open and Close
Alleviate Mouth Muscle Pain
If you experience jaw tightness and tension in the oral muscles, you have to do the following exercise to relieve the pain. First, open your mouth to the front widely and then slowly close it. Do the same for the right and left sides of the mouth. This will relieve the tension and help your jaw muscles to relax and have the muscles loosen up.
Things to Avoid
1. Another tip you can do is to avoid eating hard or crunchy food. This is because instead of alleviating the pain, you might end up making it worse. It is important not to have the jaw feel any more tension because it will aggravate the pain and leave you feeling paralyzed due to its severity.
2. Avoid yawning too widely as this may cause stress to your jaw muscles.
3. Avoid chewing gum, biting fingernails and loud singing.
4. Avoid pressing the jaw while studying or sleeping.
5. Furthermore, try to avoid bruxism by using a mouth guard at night this also puts much stress on your jaw and teeth. If you avoid inflicting further stress on your jaw, the pain will eventually be lessened.
1. Massaging your jaw line can also help alleviate the pain. Gently place two fingers on both cheeks and apply pressure on both. Massage the jaw in a circular pattern for about ten times, similar to the open and close mouth exercise.
2. You can also apply ice packs to the sore spots. Ice packs usually numb the area and decrease the inflammation and pain. Wrap the ice pack in a clean, dry towel while using and apply it for no longer than 15 minutes. The ice can be alternated with a heat pack which will help to relax muscles and also reduce pain. Wrap the heat pack in a towel to avoid burns. Apply either heat or cold to the side of your face.
3. Learn and practice healthy stress management techniques like yoga, deep breathing and meditation.
Try anti-inflammatory medications, such as aspirin, acetaminophen or ibuprofen. These medicines are usually extremely helpful in relieving pain.
These simply measures will relieve the pain and suspend it until you can get a permanent solution to the problem. It is best to go to the dentist right away if you feel jaw pains due to temporomandibular joint disorder.
In addition to this, you must have your jaw regularly checked by the dentist to not worsen the condition and for you to gain more tips on how to use your jaw properly
You can ask the dentist for various other tips to alleviate TMJ pain other than surgery.
TMJ pain is a truly excruciating experience to go through. This is why you have to find ways to relieve the pain without surgery because some surgeries render the patient far worse than what they initially felt.
Free Dental Consultation