Dental bonding procedure comes under the field of cosmetic dentistry. Through this procedure the tooth restoration is carried out in an aesthetic way. In this technique, a tooth-colored material (generally composite resins) is applied in layers and exposed to light of specific wavelength for the completion of curing process. Once the curing is done, the restoration is finished and polished to get the polished natural look.
Dental bonding can be used in some specific cases. Few of them are listed below-
Dental Decay: In cases of decay , the decayed part is drilled away and the remaining part is restored with dental bonding procedure.
Chipped or Cracked Teeth: The teeth that have got fractured (without involving the pulp) due to some kind of trauma can be restored back to its original shape by dental bonding.
Discolored Teeth: Badly discolored teeth due to any reason (like tobacco staining or tetracycline stains) can be treated with dental bonding.
Gaps Between Teeth: Gaps formed in between the teeth are unsightly especially when in relation to the front teeth. Gaps can be due to several reasons. These gaps can be closed by dental bonding procedure.
Cosmetic Alterations: Through the procedure of dental bonding you can create numerous esthetic alterations. Those people who dislike their short teeth, dental bonding can be utilized to lengthen their teeth. Those who have misshapen or crooked teeth due to some developmental anomaly like peg-lateral incisors, cosmetic changes can be brought about by dental bonding procedure.
Cervical Abrasion Cases: Due to vigorous brushing of teeth in a horizontal direction, the tooth-root interface undergoes loss of tooth material creating wedge shaped defects. This process is called cervical abrasion. Such root defects can easily be corrected by the process of dental bonding. The results are great as the esthetic element is restored along with the decrease in the hypersensitivity caused by exposure of dentin after loss of cementum of root.
Replacement of Amalgam Fillings: Previous amalgam fillings can be removed and replaced with tooth colored fillings with the help of dental bonding.
The dental bonding procedure involves the following steps-
1. The tooth that has to be restored must be clean and free of any deposits that might cause a change in the color and the desired results may not be achieved. Scaling or professional oral prophylaxis done prior to dental bonding procedure is regarded ideal.
2. Shade selection is the next most important step. With the help of shade guide, the most appropriate shade that blends with the original color of the tooth is chosen. The shade selection is always carried out under natural light or sunlight as the recognition of shades varies in the artificial light.
3. Now the tooth surface where the restoration has to be done is prepared by application of conditioning liquid for few seconds. This liquid roughens the tooth surface and enhances the bonding procedure. Dental bonding works on the concept of micromechanical retention.
4. The prepared tooth surface gives a white frosty appearance. This indicates that the tooth is ready. Now the resin is applied in thin layer and then cured with the help of laser or ultraviolet light. The resin has to be applied in such a way that it should conform to the original structure of the tooth. There should not be any difference between the tooth and restoration. The procedure is carried out in thin layers to ensure the complete curing process.
5. Now the excess of the restoration is removed by finishing and polishing and the natural feel and shine is achieved.
Free Dental Consultation