Hello. Please tell me that there is something that can be done about this that will not cause pain. The dentist shaved down some enamel in the top molar (no cavity there..stupid me asked her to) which was v shaped, but now it's more of a u shape. Now, there is not enough contact here in the center. Is there any way (other than a crown) that she could attach a small piece of material here to get back the v shape and not cause pain. I'm scared because I'm not sure if I should leave it alone, get a custom nightguard made and hope that I adjust to the new bite, or if I should get something else done. I've read horror stories online about people in this situation who kept trying different things and ended up miserable. I can eat right now without pain. It just feels strange smiling and enuciating certain words now. What would you suggest?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 22 - April - 2011, at 19:15 PM

• Normally within a week or 10 days, the root canal treated tooth adjusts itself. So by now, it should be able to bear all the pressure or atleast it should start taking more and more pressure when you bite with that tooth. Moresover you are on antibiotics which should help in adjusting the tooth. You can talk to your dentist and find out the cause if the restoration is high then get it adjusted.

• Kris

Kris 22 - April - 2011, at 08:00 AM

• I had my first root canal 2/4/11. I had normal sensitivity afterwards and then it seemed fine. But over the last few weeks I am able to chew on it less and less--especially anything crunchy. Went back to the dentisit and was told "some people take longer to heal" and that "it's pressure in the bottom of the root". I've even been on antibiotics since the root canal coincidentally as treatment for Lyme disease. Don't know what to do.....

• Dr. Ritz

Dr. Ritz 21 - April - 2011, at 11:01 AM

• It is difficult to do composite buildups at this location i.e. biting surfaces as the max chewing pressure is on these surfaces. However if the dentist is able to do it and if it sustains then there is no pain on smiling or biting or speaking.

• Dr. Ritz

Dr. Ritz 21 - April - 2011, at 11:00 AM

• It is difficult to do composite buildups at this location i.e. biting surfaces as the max chewing pressure is on these surfaces. However if the dentist is able to do it and if it sustains then there is no pain on smiling or biting or speaking.

• Athena

Athena 21 - April - 2011, at 07:33 AM

• Hi Dr. Ritz. Thank you for your reply. What I am feeling is pressure between the top and bottom teeth when they make contact smiling. I also have minor problems speaking especially when saying S words. I believe that there has been a loss of vertical dimension here. I will not be able to see my dentist for a month, so I will try to wait it out and give it time to see how I'm feeling. If I do decide to get the composite buildup done, will it hurt when smiling, biting down, or speaking at this location? Thank you.

Free Dental Consultation