I have been wearing braces since the last one year for overlapping and forward protruding teeth. All four first pre-molars were extracted for the same. Now my front teeth are aligned and the gaps are reducing, but the teeth with the anchors have moved forward. This has resulted in gaps between my molars. My dentist says the gaps will close after treatment, but I am concerned. Also, if I put my tongue in the gap, it pain in the back of my head. Please advise.

Leave Comment

Comments

• bavicca bharathi

bavicca bharathi 15 - July - 2011, at 23:12 PM

• Dear Doc, Thank you very much for your valuable feedback.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 10 - July - 2011, at 19:06 PM

• For braces treatment it is normal to go for extractions of premolars and normally the treatment takes around 18-24 months. You have completed just one year and by the end of treatment which is another 1 year, the gaps will be closed. In the last stages of treatment the final alignment of teeth is done in which dentist takes care to fill the gaps. So donot worry about gaps  as they will be closed before completion of treatment. As per pain you should not put your tonuge as teeth are moving and they are not very strong and due to this pain is there. You can also get your tongue hurt. Take good care with proper oral hygiene. For more info on braces care you can read this article... http://www.identalhub.com/dental-care-of-teeth-with-braces-568.aspx

Free Dental Consultation