Going to a new dentist and during cleaning he suggested to put a filling along the gum line at my bridge. My old dentist called it an air pocket and did the same for my upper bridge. My upper bridge has had no problem in 18 years. Upon starting this he checked the bridge, ie: wiggled it and pulled on it to see how secure it was. After pushing it up from under 4 times it came loose on the smaller front tooth and now he wants to replace it. Is it possible to salvage it as I have to come up with $2000 out of pocket after insurance? He insists he has to saw it off and make a new one. This same bridge was replaced about 9 years ago when I had a root canal because that dentist said he could not drill through a bridge and had to redo the bridge. I have had no problems before this and my teeth never hurt. I brush and floss and use mouthwash 2 times a day. I keep my teeth very clean and now I am at a loss for so much money again. My old dentist moved out of town that is why I had to find another one. Thank you in advance for the reply.

Leave Comment


  • Cheryl

    Cheryl 26 - February - 2011, at 18:25 PM

  • Thank you. I will definitely get a second opinion. I will also happily recommend your site.

  • Dr.Ritz

    Dr.Ritz 25 - February - 2011, at 20:26 PM

  • If you donot have any problem with the bridge and as you say that it has become loose and will easily come out as whole and again it can be refixed, there is no need to saw it off. But if the bridge is not coming out and the dentist has to cut to remove it then you have to get the new one made because once the bridge is sectioned it cannot be repaird and you have to get new one made. If you are not very sure, you can take as second opinion from different dentist and can find out whether the bridge is actually loose. For more info on bridges you can read this article... www.identalhub.com/article_how-do-bridges-work-225.aspx

Free Dental Consultation