I had a bottom molar removed 2 days ago. When removed the Dr put foam in the socket and 1 stitch due to previous history of dry socket. 1 day post op there was great pain. The Dr did not see my but called in antibiotics and pain meds. Today, I did see him because the pain had gotten worse and the swelling had gotten hard. He looked at it and said it was infected. When lightly pressing on it or around it pus would come out and it smells horrible. He said to keep taking the antibiotic. My questions are; how long does it take before you notice an improvement on the antibiotic Erythromycin?(250 mg 4 times a day) How long before the pus and smell go away? As there is foam and a stitch in the extraction site does that mean it will take longer for it to heal? My Dr was nice but not informative and he is out of town until next year. Any help would be appreciated.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Kelsie

Kelsie 17 - March - 2012, at 21:05 PM

• What's it mean if the foam in the socket has a bad odor 2 days after extraction? No real bad pain as long as u stay in my pain meds. And what happens to the foam up in there as it heals?

• dr ritz

dr ritz 02 - January - 2012, at 01:55 AM

• Cynthia,antibiotics will kill the infection and will stop pus formation. Infection in extraction socket leads to bad taste and smell from mouth. Smell will go away after infection is removed. Take the pain meds and antibiotics as prescribed to you by your dentist and avoid any food accumulates in tooth extraction socket. Food deposits in extraction socket also leads to bad smell from mouth. Continue with warm saline rinses.

• Cynthia

Cynthia 31 - December - 2011, at 12:19 PM

• Thank you Dr. Ritz. You stated that once the pus was drained and the infection removed the smell would go away. Does the dentist physically remove the infection and pus or it is done by the antibiotic?

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 31 - December - 2011, at 05:07 AM

• Antibiotics are given to remove the infection and are effective on third day. Gelfoam given after tooth extraction can be used to control the bleeding. It also acts as scaffold for formation of blood clot. Foams aid in primary closure of large extraction socket wound. Stitches approximate the flap margins and will hold gelfoam. Stitches and foam given after tooth extraction will facilitate the healing process. Healing gets delayed in case of infection of tooth extraction socket. Bad odor from mouth can be because of infection in extraction socket. After pus gets drained and infection gets removed, there will be no smell from mouth. Pus and bad smell will go away after few days. Take the pain meds and antibiotics as prescribed and follow the instructions of your dentist. Continue with warm saline rinses and keep extraction socket area clean. Make sure that there are no food accumulates in tooth extraction socket.  If it was a difficult or surgical tooth extraction, then complete healing of extraction socket wound may take 3 weeks to 3 months. For detailed info on complications after tooth extraction, refer to…..    http://www.identalhub.com/dental-complications-after-tooth-extraction-881.aspx

Free Dental Consultation