I am a 66 yo male in good general health, on fixed income, and with a total knee joint replacement. I have a cracked molar (31) with peridontal infection and significant bone loss (9 mm pocket). I have had no associated pain. The dentist believes that the crack involves the posterior root, and is the cause of the bone loss and peridontal disease. He believes the tooth is beyond saving and recommends immediate extraction. My pocketbook agrees but I must ask if extraction is the proper protocol vs. efforts to keep the tooth.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dean Kerkling

Dean Kerkling 11 - February - 2011, at 21:02 PM

• Thank you for the prompt response to my cracked tooth querry - extract or not. It reinforces what my dentist suggests.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 11 - February - 2011, at 20:16 PM

• If there is crack in the tooth and the tooth is periodontally involved with such a deep pocket then it is better to get it pulled out. In the cracked tooth it is difficult to do the treatment and the prognosis is very poor if the periodotal prolem has set in. If you do not get it pulled out it will be the focus of infection in your mouth and more so ever the further bone resorption will be there makng it difficult to put the prosthesis. For more info on cracked tooth you can visit the follwing link....www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-cracked-tooth-205.aspx

Free Dental Consultation