I have a wisdom tooth(upper right side) that has a cavity and I have a terrible toothache in the area. I also have a bottom right wisdom tooth that is partially grown and i also feel the pain there when i feel the pain at the upper wisdom teeth.I do not have dental insurance and the last time I got a molar extracted due to a toothache, I was charged $630 (x-ray, extraction, & bone graft). I was referred by my ob/gyn to a low-cost dental clinic during my 2nd trimester, but emergency care is first come,first serve and it always gets filled up early. I am now in my 3rd trimester. Is is still safe to get my wisdom tooth extracted? I have several teeth that are in very bad shape. I have a broken tooth next to my top right incisor and the gum in it is swollen. I have an abscess on my bottom molar (#19) and a top back molar that is already broken and d gum inside it has a big hole. Which tooth will the dentist take care of first? Or will I have to wait until after I give birth to get all this work done?

Leave Comment

Comments

• E. L.

E. L. 06 - September - 2011, at 03:18 AM

• Thank you for your response Dr. Ritz. I didn't grow up with a good flossing habit and therefore, now have to suffer the consequences. But I will heed your advice and wait until after I give birth.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 06 - September - 2011, at 01:58 AM

• Wisdom tooth extraction should be avoided in 3rd trimester of pregnancy. Delay the tooth extraction till you give birth to your child. In the third trimester, it becomes difficult to lie on the back for an extended period of time.  So it is better to delay the tooth extraction.  You can go for restorative procedure for the tooth.  If delayed, the cavities may deepen and may cause pain and it may become difficult to save them later on.  You can go for root canal treatment for the tooth with abscess if it is causing extreme pain. Elective treatments such as teeth whitening and other cosmetic procedures should be postponed until after the birth. For the pain relief, you can do warm saline rinses 3-4 times a day. In pregnancy, bleeding and swollen gums are a common problem which occurs due to hormonal changes. You have to maintain a good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing regularly. Consult your dentist in this regard. He will give you short appointments to perform restorative procedures.  For more info on Dental procedures and pregnancy, you can refer to the following article… http://www.identalhub.com/article_dental-procedures-and-pregnancy-188.aspx

Free Dental Consultation