Hi! I have porcelain fused to metal crowns on my front teeth and they are so opaque. It bothers me a lot, I dont know if the lab who made it is not good or maybe PFM's are not just aesthetically ok. Im planning to change it, I'm confused between all porcelain crows and zirconia crowns. Im considering aesthetics and durability. Which one is better? Thanks. Hope to hear from you.

Leave Comment

Comments

• dr ritz

dr ritz 07 - October - 2011, at 03:18 AM

• Crown lengthening is a cosmetic procedure which is done to remove excess of gum tissue which will make the teeth look longer than what they are. It is a procedure which is commonly performed by periodontist and will help in getting even gum line. It will also expose more of tooth’s crown which will further support porcelain or all ceramic crown. It is a safe procedure but requires surgery which always has some risks. Weigh pros and cons of procedure before getting it done. You can tell your dentist to explain you about the procedure. Crown lengthening procedure as such will not affect your speech.

• edhessa

edhessa 05 - October - 2011, at 05:19 AM

• Thank you so much Dr. Ritz for your response. I also have another question, since we are to change my dental crowns my dentist provided me an option to do crown lengthening since I have a low gum line (central incisors) and this will help me improve my smile. My teeth are not yet decayed and are still in good condition to hold the crowns. So CL as of this moment is just an option for me aesthetically. I'm kinda used with my low gum line and its never really a problem but seeing how my smile will improve on CL surgery makes me want to undergo this procedure. I'm still undecided if i will undergo CL, Will there be a future risk? I'm scared of bleeding and will this affect my speech. Hope you can brighten me up. Thank you so much, you've been a great help.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 05 - October - 2011, at 03:53 AM

• Porcelain fused to metal crowns are not recommended for front teeth. They have porcelain present over the metal which gives slightly opaque color to porcelain fused to metal (PFM) Crown.  For front teeth porcelain crowns or all ceramic crowns are given to the patient.  Placing porcelain crowns for front teeth is very technique sensitive. They are very translucent and their color is influenced by color of underlying teeth.  Feldspathic porcelain, procera crown, lava crown, cerec crown, zirconia crown are the choices available in all porcelain and ceramic crowns.  You can get zirconia crown for your front teeth. They are translucent and look like natural teeth.  They are also durable for front teeth. It is better to get all porcelain crowns from an expert cosmetic dentist.  You can discuss with your dentist about the option of other types of porcelain crowns.  For more info on different types of crowns, you can refer to following article….  http://www.identalhub.com/article_types-of-dental-crowns-268.aspx

Free Dental Consultation