I had my braces removed about two and a half years ago, and i was pretty pleased with the results (except for the fact that one of my front teeth is switched with the one next to it, which will require cosmetic surgery). My top retainer still fits for the most part, but not the bottom one because I never wore it. Both my top teeth and bottom teeth protrude outward though, and I just discovered "tongue thrust" and realized that I probably have it. I think I need braces again, but will it be covered by dental, and do you have any advice? Also, since the dentist never diagnosed me with tongue thrust, isn't my teeth moving since braces kind of the orthodontists fault?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Gina

Gina 24 - December - 2010, at 00:48 AM

• (This was my question) My top retainer fits mostly because they are still "aligned" but my incisors have all fanned outward, so it is awkwardly loose; my teeth have moved. I am almost positive I have tongue thrusting habit because i push my tongue forward when I swallow and i have a minor open bite (if i bite down i can push my tongue through between my incisors). Also since I recently realized that I do this, I also discovered that I push my tongue against my front teeth naturally when I'm not doing anything. After researching this habit I found out that even after wearing retainers, the pressure from tongue thrusting can push teeth outward and eventually need to braces again if untreated. The retainer is not really the problem. Do you think braces with some sort of appliance to prevent tongue thrust push my teeth back and help my bite be more aligned?

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 23 - December - 2010, at 20:18 PM

• First of all you have to be sure that you have tongue thrusting habbit and moresoever when the braces were removed, you were happy with results and as you write that the upper retainers still fits you which means that after removing the braces, your upper teeth have not moved. If lower teeth have moved, it surely because of your negligence of not wearing retainers. Still if you now think that you need further treatment then you can discuss it with your dentist. If youare not comfortable with removable retainers then you can go for fixed retainers in lower which are fixed at the back of teeth and are not visible. This will solve your problem of retainers. Further the insurance covering the braces again depends on the insurance you have. For checking this you have to call the insurance or the dental office, who will check from insurance company about what is covered and what is not. For more info on retainers after braces, you can read the following article in following link which can make you understand about importance of braces.  www.identalhub.com/dental-permanent-bonded-retainers-after-braces-744.aspx

Free Dental Consultation