I went to dentist yesterday. Took xray of molar and showed infection around tooth. Nothing was visible to the naked eye. Since I am goin away for a week, they prescribed me clindamycin (150mg 3x a day). 36 hours into antibiotic treatment, pain is 90% subsided, however there is now a bubble next to the tooth. Is this normal? Is this just the infection getting "out"? If so, what happens when it pops? Thanks.

Leave Comment

Comments

• dr ritz

dr ritz 29 - November - 2011, at 22:41 PM

• Grace, Bump on gums which is drain for pus may pop out after some time. If you swallow it, you will experience bad taste in mouth because of blood and pus present.

• Grace

Grace 29 - November - 2011, at 06:52 AM

• Thanks! So this will eventually pop? What happens if I swallow it?

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 29 - November - 2011, at 01:48 AM

• Tooth may appear to be clinically healthy but there can be infection present within the tooth. Tooth may be cracked or may have abscess present. Bubble next to the gums can be there because of drains for pus. If it pops, then it will release pus and blood and will further cause bad taste in mouth. By the time you get the procedure done, antibiotics are given to reduce the infection. Antibiotics can’t drain the abscess but can only reduce the infection which is present. After a week, you can get treatment done for the infected tooth. By that time, you can take the meds as prescribed and can avoid taking food from that side of mouth. Avoid any food accumulates around infected tooth as it can aggravate the pain.  For more info on good oral hygiene, refer to….   http://www.identalhub.com/article_good-oral-hygiene-231.aspx

Free Dental Consultation