Hi. Recently I chipped my front right (from my perspective) tooth while eating instant soup. The very tip of the metal fork hit the very bottom enamal on the bottom of my front upper tooth on the way in and chipped off a very small section if enamel. It's not a jagged or sharp chip; it's very smooth. It looks like a very low sloping upsidedown U in the enamal on the bottom of my front tooth. Not really noticable from a distance but it's really bugging me in the mirror. My question is, the rest of my tooth is fine, and the chip doesn't hurt. Is there a way a dentist can fill in the chip in my enamel when the chip is very small and on the bottom of my tooth? Because I DON'T want them to either (a) file the rest of my tooth down because I already have small teeth or (B) put a veneer over my entire tooth which if I understand correctly, requries grinding away the surface layer of my tooth to apply the bond. Please reply. Thank you.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 28 - July - 2011, at 10:59 AM

• Yes if the chip is like that then your dentist can easily built it with composite. But after that you have to take certain precautions like not to bite something hard from your front teeth.

• James

James 28 - July - 2011, at 04:44 AM

• Hi. Thanks for the reply. If you look at the third picture down on that link that you provided for me, the chip on my front tooth looks like that gentlemen's RIGHT front tooth (not the obvious chip but the one on the bottom of the other right tooth. It's very minor but it's still bugging me. Is there a way a dentist could rebuild that minor chip with composite? Because my teeth are already small and grinding them down to round off the chip would just make my tooth look smaller.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 27 - July - 2011, at 10:34 AM

• If the chip is very small and it is at the back of tooth then you can get is built with composite bonding material. If you have the chipped part then reattachment of chipped part can be done by using composite. It gives excellent aesthetic results. The other options are rounding of the tooth or going for Veneers (which you donot want). So the only option left is composite builtup. This is quite economical as compared to veneers and is quick as it can be and will be done in one sitting with dentist. For more info on font tooth chip options you can read this article..... http://www.identalhub.com/dental-how-chipped-tooth--is--fixed-by-dentist-790.aspx

Free Dental Consultation