Ok, this is gonna sound like a stupid question but I have to ask it anyway. I had my bottom right wisdom tooth pulled five days ago. At that time, the dentist stitched up the incision hole. I've been chewing on the other side, brushing and flossing after every meal and morning & night, and swishing with warm salt water about 4 times a day. It still hurts but think it's getting better everyday. Been icing it a lot too. But my question is, I looked at the incision hole and it;s just that...a hole. I see the stitching but its kinda loose looking and doesn't seem to be stitching anything up. There's just a big hole, and in it I can see white stuff. Is this normal? I would assume stitches would mean there wouldn't be a hole? Also, I think it is stitched into the side of my cheek as well because when I try to (gently) pull on it, nothing comes out so I am guessing he stitched it into the inside of my cheek next to the incision hole too? I was also the one who asked about the tooth shard which thankfully I ended up pulling out.. didn't have to tug hard, it kind of loosened after a couple days.. now my tongue feels SO much better. But this incision hole..maybe I'm just being paranoid but I just assumed stitching meant I wasn't supposed to see a hole! And what's the white stuff in it? It can't be food cuz I don't chew on that side, AND I swish pretty hard after everytime I eat, making sure to get the incision area real good. So highly doubtful it is food. I am also on antibiotics - amoxicillin - which I was prescribed and started taking the day of my extraction - one capsule every 6 hours for 7 days. So I don't think it's infected? I hope?? Thank you for your quick and well thought out response to my last question. I promise this is the last one! I really appreciate it. thank you so much.

Leave Comment

Comments

• dr ritz

dr ritz 25 - September - 2011, at 22:54 PM

• Keonna, there is as such no medicament available which you can put in your extraction socket hole for the holes to close fast. All you can do is keep the extraction socket area clean and continue with the warm saline rinses to avoid any secondary infections. Keep following the instructions of your dentist and take the meds as prescribed for faster healing to take place.

• keonna anderson

keonna anderson 24 - September - 2011, at 11:28 AM

• hi my name is keonna anderson and i had four od my wisdom teeth removed last tuesday.I was wondering is there any medication I can take for my holes to close faster.I it won't heal over night but to speed up the healing process.

• dr ritz

dr ritz 26 - August - 2011, at 22:58 PM

• Yes its normal to have decreased mouth opening after the wisdom tooth extraction. It doesn't hurt when the stitches are removed. The dentist will just cut and remove them. Wisdom tooth extraction socket takes longer time to heal than the normal extraction socket. Just continue with the warm saline rinses and keep the socket area clean. Take the medicaments as prescribed to you and follow the instructions of your dentist.

• Jessica

Jessica 25 - August - 2011, at 23:49 PM

• Thank you so much! Your answers are great! I definitely feel a lot better now. Does it hurt to get stitches out? I thought he would of used the dissolvable ones but he didn't. Kind of odd cuz I thought most dentists do now. He said to come back in a week to get them out (tomorrow will be a week). Also my jaw is still sore and can't open my mouth too wide. Is this normal after a week>?

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 25 - August - 2011, at 04:04 AM

• The white stuff inside the socket is normal. The extraction socket is healing up normally. The stitches are given so that the healing becomes fast. In case of wisdom tooth, the socket is usually too large that a person can observe the hole even after the stitches. In case of normal extraction socket, healing occurs in 7-10days and occurs by primary intervention. The ends of the flap approximate and get filled with the soft tissue in some time.  In case of wisdom tooth extraction, mostly surgery is done in which the healing occurs by secondary intervention.  In case of secondary healing, the flap ends don’t approximate. Healing occurs from bottom to the top that’s why you can see the extraction socket hole even after the stitches.  If the stitches are non-resorbable, then they are removed after 1week of extraction. The resorbable stitches as the name indicates don’t require to be removed. They resorb on their own.  The wisdom tooth extraction socket may take 3 weeks to 3 months to heal completely depending on the procedure used for the tooth removal. Don’t worry. Your socket is healing normally. Just keep on doing the warm saline rinses and keep the extraction area clean. There should be no food accumulation in that area. Continue eating from the other side of the socket and take the medicaments as prescribed by your dentist. For more info on care after wisdom tooth extraction, you can refer to the following article… http://www.identalhub.com/article_care-after-wisdom-tooth-extraction-258.aspx

Free Dental Consultation