1.How ALL does Trident Gum prevent people from getting cavitiys?? 2.Does the XYLITOL in it help get rid of plaque & help savila flow so the person doesn't get cavitys?? I chew on it all the time. 3.Should I be worried?? 4.Why or Why not?? Please Reply Soon Thanks

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 19 - February - 2010, at 20:01 PM

• Xylitol is a sugar substitute which cannot be fermented by the bacteria to produce the acid .This acid causes caries thus the xylitol reduces the risk of caries. Chewing gum do increase the salivary flow and reduces the plaque. Normally 3 to 8 gums can be chewed in a day and for better effect, it should be chewed immediately after any food because that is the time when ph of saliva becomes acidic i.e. it goes below critcal ph of 5.5 and comes back to 7, which is neutral ph after about 30 minutes and this is the time when maximum incidence of caries can be there. For more information on dental caries, you can visit our website which has a topic on Diet and Dental Caries, which fully explains everythng.  http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-dental-caries-7.aspx

Free Dental Consultation