I have a few teeth with receding gums which a dentist said is due to grinding my teeth in my sleep. I thought it was due to my cross bite. He recommends having these teeth filled at the gum line to protect from cavities and sensitivity. Does this sound right?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 27 - April - 2011, at 09:41 AM

• As I have told you yesterday also in response to your question that first you have to ascertain the cause of receding gums. If it is due to cross bite and cross bite has to be treated and if you are a night grinder you can wear a mouthguard to prevent further receding of gums. Further if now the gums have receded to the level that roots are exposed and they are causing sensitivity then that can be covered with filling material.

• judy devine

judy devine 27 - April - 2011, at 09:15 AM

• I wrote this yesterday "I have a few teeth with receding gums which a dentist said is due to grinding my teeth in my sleep. I thought it was due to my cross bite. He recommends having these teeth filled at the gum line to protect from cavities and sensitivity. Does this sound right?" What I would like to know is if it sounds right to put fillings in these teeth that have receding gums?

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 26 - April - 2011, at 20:03 PM

• The receeding gums can be either because of some gum problem or because of the bad bite which can be grinding of teeth, cross bite or the traumatic bite. If your bite is not balanced it causes trauma to the teeth and hence the receeding of the gums. The cross bite along with the grinding of teeth can be the cause of your receeding gums. You have to find out the reason of your receeding gums and then remove the cause so that further receeding of the gums do not take place. For grinding of the teeth you can wear night guard. For more info on grinding of teeth you can visit the following link...www.identalhub.com/article_diagnosing-and-curing-bruxism-13.aspx

Free Dental Consultation