Hi, I know this sounds bad, but I lost my job in 2008 when I had a root canal done. Because I didn't have a job or insurance I did not get a crown. I just got a job and insurance and was ready to get a crown done soon when my temp filling came out a couple of days ago. Since then my mouth is filled with a horrible taste. I'm going to make an appt. with a dentist tomorrow, not today due to holiday. I don't have a fever, but I am concerned about the possibility of infection. I don't have any pain around my tooth. Please advise. Thank you for your help. Karmen Brock

Leave Comment

Comments

• Karmen Brock

Karmen Brock 04 - July - 2011, at 19:42 PM

• Thank you for your timely response. I will get to the dentist tomorrow.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 04 - July - 2011, at 19:15 PM

• If you donot have any pain then possibility of infection is quite less. The horrible taste can be becasue of food lodgement in cavity from where the temporary filling has come out. When there is food lodgement, it causes some gum infection also in the area and due to fermentation of lodged food there is bad taste in the mouth. So you have to go to dentist who before putting the crown will take the xray and do clinical examination to ascertain that no infection is there and only then the dental crown will be put. Till then you can maintain very good oral hygiene so that food impaction is not there and you can do warm saline rinses 2-3 times a day but try to visit your dentist asap. For more info on crown  after root canal treatment you can read this article... http://www.identalhub.com/article_restoration-of-root-canal-treated-tooth-300.aspx

Free Dental Consultation