I recently got my first set of dentures and the lowers are not level and do not even closely make contact with the uppers. IThe unevenness is clearly visible when I smile. When I try to eat the one side makes contact before the other and even with adhesive on them they pop off. My dentist says that this is just life with dentures and I need to get used to it. When I persisted in letting him know that this bothered me he "adjusted" my dentures by grinding the teeth on the uppers and lowers on one side (the side that makes contact first). I think he is treating me poorly and trying to take the cheap route out of properly fixing/adjusting my dentures. Am I right?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 08 - April - 2010, at 20:02 PM

• When the new dentures are given, the adjustments are made. Sometimes, the patient feels that on one side the teeth are meeting and pressure is more and the other side there are not in contact. In that case, selective grinding is done so that teeth on both the sides come in contact but if the visible gap is there on one side then dentures has to be repeated.

• Kelly

Kelly 06 - April - 2010, at 16:34 PM

• My problem isn't just the alignment of the teeth, although that is impostant. The dentures I received are very skewed with one side of the back teeth making contact between uppers and lowers and the other side has a gap where the teeth don't make contact. Also, the front uppers and loweres meet with no overlap of the uppers over the lowers. My other big concern is that the dentist used his adjusting tool to grind the back teeth (uppers and lowers) down on the side where the teeth make contact. The Dr. said that this is common practice when making adjustments. I think that he is just trying to take the cheap route and when he got called on it he lied. People do get new dentures when the old ones are worn down from use if I'm not mistaken. Can anyone give me any input on my situation? It would be greatly appreciated.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 05 - April - 2010, at 20:29 PM

• Ideally when the dentures are delivered, the upper and lower teeth on both sides should be in proper occulsion ie the upper teeth should meet the lower teeth as with the natural teeth. Initial adjustments have to be done but there should not be any visible gap between the upper and lower back teeth. The front upper and lower teeth donot meet and rather upper front teeth overlap the lower front teeth as in normal natural teeth. Without clinical examination it is difficult to comment so you can take a second opnion from another dentist. For more info on problems after getting new dentures you can read the following article from our website....www.identalhub.com/article_various-types-of-dentures-170.aspx

Free Dental Consultation