I had a root canal Dec 2008. Continue to have some tooth pain. Root Canal done by Endontist. Been back 4-5 times for checks on why. Referred to Oral Surgeon, Neurologist. Usually comes and goes, but has been here for 3 weeks, seems to be getting worse. After eating, always seems to feel like something got between the tooth. No tooth pain when chewing, but can throb in the gums and back into the ear after eating. Neurologist said it could be trigeminal nerve, but darn it to me as it sure does feel like the tooth. X-rays by Endo this week said the tooth looked ok. so what causes the pain. Vertical fracture? how to diagnose?

Leave Comment

Comments

• kg

kg 20 - December - 2010, at 16:20 PM

• Dr Ritz.. thank you. I have an appointment wed with my Dentist. Thank you very much.. makes me feel better.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 20 - December - 2010, at 09:32 AM

• If there is no pain while chewing the food, it means that your root canal treated tooth does not have any problem. As for vertical fracture, there is pain while chewing the food. So in your case, vertical fracture of tooth is not the possibility. As you have written that the pain is after chewing the food, it may be because of some gum problem between the two teeth. Sometimes the food get stuck infecting the interdental area between the two teeth and a periodontal pocket develops in that area. For this, you have to keep the area clean where you feel that something is stuck and you can go to the dentist, may be periodontist, who will diagnose the problem after taking xrays and do the treatment for periodontal pocket. Till then try to maintain good oral hygiene and do warm saline rinses 2 -3 times a day and after that you can apply some gum paint which is available OTC. For more info on complications after root canal treatment, you can read the following from our website... www.identalhub.com/article_what-if-root-canal-treatment-fails-303.aspx

Free Dental Consultation