I have two baby canine teeth and the adult teeth almost coming in diagonally. I want to get my baby teeth pulled and see if the adult teeth will come down on their own before I get into braces and surgery. Of course no one really wants braces but I really am looking for any other option! I want to know if it is a good idea that I should get the baby teeth pulled, maybe get flippers so I do not have holes and see if my teeth will come down on their own. Pleaase any advise, similar stories or help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Michael

Michael 26 - November - 2011, at 20:51 PM

• This is my last comment! Yay! I am going to see the dentist to extract in two days. The dull ache continues, although it is now spreading to the two baby canines. As far as I know, the front teeth are not loose, although they sure feel like it. I hope that everything goes well. This blog has greatly helped me. Thanks a ton, bye. PS- I might make another comment later to say how the extraction went.

• dr ritz

dr ritz 24 - November - 2011, at 23:10 PM

• Susie, baby molars are replaced with adult bicuspids which erupt at age of 10-11 years. To maintain space for adult bicuspids to erupt, space maintainers are required. If space maintainers are not given, then crowding in relation to adult teeth can occur. It is better to pay for space maintainers now than paying for expensive braces treatment later on. Space maintainers can be avoided if adult tooth is about to erupt in some time. But in your son, the bicuspids will erupt after 4-5 years so space maintainers are required.

• susie

susie 24 - November - 2011, at 08:25 AM

• My son is 5 years old and one of his molars needs to be pulled due to being infected. the dentist recommended a space retainer but i have been told by several paretns its not necessary. Id like a professiona opinion oter than our new peds dentist. is it necessary or will he be okay while we wait for the adult molar to come in? Its expensive and if it will not create any harm is it ok to just pull the tooth and let nature take its course? thank you for your reponse in advance. and happy thankgving.

• dr ritz

dr ritz 24 - November - 2011, at 01:11 AM

• Michael, Your adult canines are exerting pressure on incisors which is causing pain in relation to upper incisors. You might be feeling slight looseness because of pressure being exerted by the adult canines. You don’t have to worry. After extraction of baby canines, adult canines will get space to erupt and they will not exert pressure on incisors. Braces treatment may also be required to align the adult canines in position. You can take soft and cold food stuffs for some pain relief. If there is severe pain, then you can take pain meds after consultation of your dentist. You don't have to be sorry. Feel free to post your queries.

• Michael

Michael 23 - November - 2011, at 11:01 AM

• Alright, Dr. Ritz. I'm sorry if I seem to be hogging this blog or something. Anyways, we cancelled the ortho appointment, and am trying to set up another one with the dentist, to get the two baby canines pulled ASAP. The pain seems to be coming fromt the four front teeth, not the baby canines, and the canines are so stubborn it will require an extraction. However, I doubt they'll be able to get us in on Thanksgiving week. In the meantime, I'm too scared to check and see if my two front teeth are loose, even though they feel like it. My mom says not to worry about anything, as usual. In the meanwhile, I don't know what to do. If the teeth really are loose, then I will call my dentist by his emergency number, but I don't want to make a mistake and then embarass myself if the dentist checks it out and there is no problem. The last time, the dentist barely checked me out, and he just talked about orthodontics. Orthodontics won't get the problem over quickly. I need help as usual. Also, hopefully this will be my last message.

Free Dental Consultation