i havnt been to the dentist in 5 years and im finally going in a week i have a lot of issues but the one im worried about is i believe i might have a tooth abscess my gums are painful when i put any pressure on then on the lower left side there are two small white sores where it hurts and that side of my face is slightly swollen but not enough to be swollen is this an abscess and if it is how long does it take to spread

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 11 - February - 2011, at 08:00 AM

• If you take proper dose of antibiotics and take proper precautions then there should not be any problem for one week. Whether it is wisdom tooth or not cannot be identitified without clinical examination. Normaly wisdom tooth is the last teeth, one in each quad.

• laura

laura 09 - February - 2011, at 20:42 PM

• thanks for the reply. i cant get into a dentist for another week do you think i will be ok until then i also now have antibiotics to take i was also wondering if this could be a wisdom tooth

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 07 - February - 2011, at 19:55 PM

• It looks like you have abscessed tooth as you have pain and swelling in that area and white sores which is intraoral sinus. If the abscess tooth keeps on draining as in your case from intraoral sinus then pain and swelling is not that acute and it is a chronic condition. But it is better you go to dentist and get it treated. Tooth abscess can be either because of decayed tooth or due to some gum diseases. Till you go to dentist, keep doing warm saline rinses which will help in draingage and maintain very good oral hygiene like brushing and flossing regularly. Avoid eating from left side as it can aggravate the situation. So schedule an appointment with dentist who will do exam and xray and do the treatment depending on cause. This can vary from gum treatment to Root Canal Treatment. For more info on tooth abscess you can read this article ..... www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-abscessed-tooth-204.aspx

Free Dental Consultation