I had an extraction 8 days ago. #19 molar. After 3 days I try using warm salt water and I still get severe pain. The socket seems to be healing nicely, but why am I still in pain. My only relief is using Iborphrohen or Oxycodone? Any help will be appreciated. Martin

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 12 - April - 2011, at 09:33 AM

• It takes time for dry socket to heal. It can take upto 3 weeks for complete healing. The pain can radiate from dry socket to other teeth especially in case of lower as the nerve supply is the same. If you are concerned then you can visit your dentist and get to know the status of dry socket. Sometimes it needs another dressing as dressing may be needing change. It is filled with dry socket paste which helps in healing and prevents the infection.

• Martin Jacobs

Martin Jacobs 11 - April - 2011, at 23:50 PM

• Dr. Ritz, is it unusual for the molar next to #19 that was extracted and is now being treated for dry socket to hurt like a toothache? It's now been 12 days since the extraction of #19, and though I've read where other teeths alignment can be affected from an extraction, should my other tooth ache like toothache?? Or is it just a reaction from the dry socket nerves?? Any help will be appreciated. Martin

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 10 - April - 2011, at 19:20 PM

• Dry socket healing depends on the extent of infection. It can take upto 3 weeks from date of extraction to heal as now the healing is primary but secondary like the tissue is growing from downward to upward to close the socket. You have to be careful that no secondary infection takes place. Be regular to visit your dentist and take all meds and follow all instructions given by your dentist.

• Martin Jacobs

Martin Jacobs 10 - April - 2011, at 11:48 AM

• Dr. Ritz, I have a question. How long does it take for a "dry socket" to usually heal after using treatment on the dry socket? Its been It's been now 11 days since the extraction. Martin

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 10 - April - 2011, at 01:52 AM

• It is good that your problems is solved. Dry socket is quite painful and it is due to dislodgement of blood clot from tooth extraction site. You got right treatment for that. Take all med prescribed by your dentist and take all precaution told to you by them.

Free Dental Consultation