Hello, CASE: I met an accident on July 21, gave me a fracture in "zygomatic process" and also my jaw had moved a little from where it used to be. I went to Doctor, they operated on me and fixed the fracture then they did IMF (Inter-Maxillary Fixation) by wiring my teeth and placing rubber bands to restrict the movement. Today i.e., 17 August, doctors removed the rubber bands and told me to come back after a week to get those wires removed. I had been told to practice opening and closing of mouth for the mean time and to eat only soft food. Now, when I am trying to open and close my mouth it does, but not to the fullest. Previously, when I tried, I used to get all my 4 fingers in my mouth, but now only 1 & 1/2 finger gets in. QUESTION: 1) Will my mouth open to the fullest, again? 2) Also there is some problem in movement, so will it come back to normal stage again? 3) In future, I will be able to eat every kind of food or not? Please answer my queries, I am very scared.

Leave Comment

Comments

• P. Sirish Kumar

P. Sirish Kumar 18 - August - 2011, at 10:19 AM

• Thanks a lot Dr. Ritz. I was really losing my confidence. Just one last question... Approximately, How much time will it take to get back in normal stage? Thank You so much.. I'm very grateful to you.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 17 - August - 2011, at 10:39 AM

• After the treatment of the fracture and the IMF wiring it is a commomn problem. With exercise you will be able to open your mouth to the full extent. but it will take some time. the problem you are facing with the movement will also be solved with time and yes, you will be able to eat all types of food in future as the bone fracture heals . So do not worry on these account. Follow all the instructions given by your dentist and do the exercises you are told to do.

Free Dental Consultation