I broke a tooth in a wreck 15 years ago and had a crown put on the broken tooth. I went to a new dentist (covered by our new dental insurance) and they said I needed a new crown. I hadn't had trouble with the tooth but I followed their advice. As they cut the crown off they said there was decay and they needed to do a root canal. After attempting the root canal they said the tooth had calcified and recommended an extraction and implant. I agreed. Well now I'm in the process of the implant and it's costing me a fortune. I feel the crown replacement may have been unecessary and that a crown could have been placed on a calcified tooth. Does that sound right. Would it have been dangerous to leave the calcified tooth in? Thanks

Leave Comment

Comments

• Preston

Preston 14 - January - 2011, at 10:32 AM

• Thanks for the comment. I feel a little better about spending so much money. I guess if the implant will last the rest of my life and the crown will last another 15 years I guess I'm in pretty good shape. Thanks for the quick response.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 13 - January - 2011, at 20:38 PM

• After 15 years  the crown may be needing replacement as it wears off and if it is not replaced, it can cause the infection in the tooth and you may have acute pain. As you mentioned that the tooth was decaying and it could have cracked and in this case root is left inside and if becomes difficult to remove the root. If the decay is deep and tooth is calcified then it is not recommended to leave the calicified tooth as it may get infected any time. Now you have option of implant or bridge. For more info you can read the following article.. www.identalhub.com/dental-dental-implants-cost-508.aspx

Free Dental Consultation