Four weeks back I had my 4 2nd molars extracted (bottom and top) extracted to make room for my braces for protruded teeth. Since the tooth extraction I'm experiencing earn pain on left side on and off (no excruciating). I never had TMJ disorder before. My dentist told that tooth extraction might have disrupted TMJ for opening up mouth too wide. Now can I go ahead and get braces or Wait until stabilize TMJ? Please advise

Leave Comment

Comments

• dr ritz

dr ritz 16 - January - 2012, at 23:06 PM

• Rajeev, TMJ dysfunction after tooth extraction is temporary and you will be fine in few days. You can take anti-inflammatory meds, physical therapy, heat therapy for faster relief. Occlusal splints may also be required to correct the condition.

• RAJEEV RAMADUGU

RAJEEV RAMADUGU 16 - January - 2012, at 07:32 AM

• Thanks for your reply Dr. Ritz. Can you can me how long TMJ disorder is going to last usually after tooth extraction?

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 16 - January - 2012, at 00:35 AM

• In case of crowding of dental arch, tooth extraction is done to gain space. TMJ dysfunction complication can occur after tooth extraction. TMJ dysfunction can cause headaches, pain, ringing of ears and can lead to locked jaw. TMJ dysfunction after teeth extraction is temporary and can be treated with anti-inflammatory meds, physical therapy, heat therapy and in some cases, splints may also be required. Braces can be given 2-3 days after tooth extraction but if TMJ disruption has occurred, then you can wait to get dental braces. You can discuss with your dentist that when can you get dental braces.  For more info on treatment of TMJ disorders, refer to…..   http://www.identalhub.com/article_what-is-the-treatment-for-tmj-disorders-196.aspx

Free Dental Consultation