I am soon going to have a final crown placed, after i delayed it the first time due to sensitivity issues - It is problematic via pressure though not easy to duplicate in dental office. under crown is in fact sensitive to dental instruments in office No sign of root infection via X-ray - could this tooth still be infected - they did not do root canal at time, just replaced old metal crown

Leave Comment

Comments

• Ray Gunter

Ray Gunter 24 - August - 2011, at 18:14 PM

• Thanks In this case because it was initially replacing a Metal crown that had massive pressure with removal of old crown (novacane didn't work at all) I am hazarding a guess there is damage to the tooth, i'll request professional review before finalizing permanent placement of the crown. If they say place it then I will. I really don't want to go through the cutting of the crown a second time (and the cost doing so) Thanks for your advise

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 24 - August - 2011, at 08:46 AM

• If you have still senstivity and there is problem while putting pressure then there still can be infection. Intially when the infection is in initial stage, it is diffcult to make it out the exact diagnosis with xrays. Xrays with clinical signs and symptoms helps in making diagnosis. In my opinion from your description, it looks like that your tooth needs root canal treatment as it is sensitive and there is pain on pressure. It can also be due to gum problem around the tooth. it is difficult to give exact diagnosis with clincal and radiographic examination. You can discuss with your dentist. Usually the crowns are given after doing root canal treatment only. For more info on sign and symptons on root canal treatment you can read this article... http://www.identalhub.com/article_when-is-root-canal-treatment-required-294.aspx

Free Dental Consultation