I have several teeth broken off at or below gumline. Need extracted and full set dentures. Should I seek a general dentist or an oral surgeon?

Leave Comment


  • Rhonda

    Rhonda 03 - May - 2011, at 06:23 AM

  • Thank you both very much for your advice. I have decided to go with an oral surgeon, and actually even got an appt for next Monday! I truly appreciate your help. This is going to be a major event for me, and your advice has been extremely beneficial. Thank you!!

  • Dr.Ritz

    Dr.Ritz 02 - May - 2011, at 19:08 PM

  • Yes I agree that what is more important is patient comfort and confidence in dentist. General dentists are also expert in all kinds of dental treatments and they can do all kinds of dental treatments. But still when this kind of extractions are required then generally oral surgeons are best suited. However I completely endorse your view point.

  • Dr. Paukert

    Dr. Paukert 02 - May - 2011, at 11:17 AM

  • It is my professional opinion that extractions below the gum line can be done by well trained general dentists. I perform those type of procedures all the time. I would recommend finding a dentist who you feel comfortable with and who appears to care about you.

  • Dr.Ritz

    Dr.Ritz 02 - May - 2011, at 10:24 AM

  • You definately need oral surgeon as yours are only roots of teeth are left. Sometimes bone cutting has to be done and stitches to be given. These extraction may require surgical method and are classified as difficult extractions and Oral Surgeons are the best for these. If you go to general dentist and in case of any problem he will refer you to oral surgeon. So go to  an oral surgeon. For more info on tooth extraction afterware you can read this article... http://www.identalhub.com/article_do's-and-don'ts-after-tooth-extraction-153.aspx

Free Dental Consultation