i had strong pain on a tooth when i bite on and dring hot, went to dentist, took an exray,dentist said this tooth had a root canal a long time ago,which only 3 roots were taken out, so you need a apicotomy, a few days later the strong pain is gone, feel only slight sensation, should i still do apicotomy or wait till pain comes back?

Leave Comment

Comments

• rivky

rivky 17 - May - 2011, at 08:29 AM

• this tooth i am talking about has a crown,so retreatment has to either break crown or make a hole through crown,and will also cost over $1OOO.,which a apicoetomy runs about $350.and you don't ruin the crown,so i choose this option, but i would like to know what is involed in surgery, how much pain, how many injections, cause i am not to good with apideferion, is this injection necessary? thanks.. please asap.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 16 - May - 2011, at 10:37 AM

• When the previously treated root canal treatment has pain then there are two options. Either you can go for re-root canal treatment in which old filling is removed and after removing the infection properly, new filling is done or you can go for Apicoetomy. These days we prefer conservative treatment which is re-root canal treatment as compared to surgical treatment which is apicoetomy. However it is difficult to give decision on treatment without clinical examination and xrays. But once pain is there you need to have some treatment even though the pain has subsided. For more info on apicoetomy you can read this article.... www.identalhub.com/article_alternatives-to-a-root-canal-treatment-302.aspx

Free Dental Consultation