I had 8 teeth pulled on a thursday a week ago. The next day (friday night) I devoloped 3 dry sockets (can anyone say PAIN??) but it was the holiday weekend so I had to wait till the office opened on tuesday before I was able to get anything done. He removed some bone in all three sites stiched up 2 of them and then took xrays. after the xrays he found a root that had been missed in the upper right back (last molar and this was one of the dry socket teeth) so he had to go in and get it out. I have had a Very painfull week needless to say but now I feel weak ,very dizzy every time I move my head and its hard to explain but I feel a zapping in the eararea/ back of my head that seems to be connected to my eyes cause they kinda jump around when its zapping.. my sinus hurts and I kinda feel sick to my stomach. I have not taken any pain pills for 3 days now as I feel like a zombie when I take them. I have been taking advil. Any ideas? PS...All teeth but one were molars

Leave Comment

• ronda

ronda 10 - September - 2011, at 08:19 AM

• Thank you for responding Dr.Ritz. After sending this message to you I was even more dizzy and walking into walls and falling and then there was the zapping and eye thing(?). when the heart palpatations started I was begining to think i was having a Panic attack (i have seen these but never had one). Just Not feeling well at all. I called my dentist and he advised me to call my pcp. the pcp wanted me to go to the ER to get checked out. I'm so glad I did I feel so much better. I was VERY dehydrated and had verdigo. they gave me a few bags of fluid, steriods,something else for my sick stomach and meds for the dizziness. today I almost feel like a new woman! I am still a little dizzy but atleast I can walk stright. The only thing we did not look at is my sinus it still hurts but not as bad. I guess the big message here is to DRINK DRINK DRINK.. sips here and there wont keep you hydrated. and when your unable to eat thats not good. Thanks Again, Ronda

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 09 - September - 2011, at 23:49 PM

• Pain and discomfort for few days after tooth extraction is normal. If a fragment of tooth remains in socket, it needs to be pulled out to avoid infection in the tooth. It may take weeks for the sockets of the teeth to heal completely. The pain will regress on its own in few days. Dry socket is one of the complications after tooth extraction which causes extreme pain. Irrigation and dressing is given to the patient for pain relief in dry socket. Ear pain after tooth extraction is normal and it will recede itself. Pain in the sinus can occur if maxillary sinus is accidentally opened during upper molar or premolar extraction.  You can consult your oral surgeon for this. If the opening is small, it can close on its own; otherwise surgery may be required for it.  By that time, take the medicaments as prescribed by the dentist and follow the instructions of your dentist. Keep doing the warm saline rinses which will help in healing of the socket. For more info on do’s and don’ts after tooth extraction, you can refer to the following article... http://www.identalhub.com/article_do%27s-and-don%27ts-after-tooth-extraction-153.aspx

Free Dental Consultation