Last Spring I had a bad gingivitis infection. My gums bled off and on (bleed, but then stop for 1-2 weeks, then start again. Usually my top teeth would not bleed, but my bottoms would, then they would switch again) for about 2-3 months whenever I would brush my teeth. I had not been to a dentist in about 9-10 months due to a lack of coverage. I noticed it was worse around the area where my retainers hit my teeth and gums (I have a top hawley and a bottom invaslign retainer that I wore every night). I started brushing better, got a new toothbrush, flossed every day, use mouthwash, etc. After about 3 months the bleeding finally stopped altogether. I went to visit the orthodontist (I don't have dental insurance and couldn't go to a dentist)and she thought most of my teeth looked good. She guessed maybe hormones played a role in my infection (they were out of whack for a while but were back in check about the time my infection cleared). I went back to the orthodontist 3 months later for my last retainer check and they said nothing about any gingivitis infections or anything. I have since kept up my routine of brushing 2-3 times a day, flossing once a day, and mouthwash 2-3 times a day. I also clean my retainers better and usually only wear them every other night instead of every night. I've only had one or two teeth bleed just a tiny bit once or twice over the last year, however, some extra brushing, and flossing of the area coupled with mouthwash clears it by morning and so everything is good again. Lately, I've recently noticed some dark gums along my bottom teeth. My top teeth are a nice healthy pink, and so is the first half of my bottom teeth (by where the gums are). I don't know how long it's been like this or if it is something new.... But, if my teeth are not bleeding when I brush and floss, and I keep a good routine, then everything should be okay right? Just asking for a little peace of mind until I can get to a discounted dental clinic hopefully sometime in the future. I appreciate any help you have to give

Leave Comment

Comments

• Sarah

Sarah 11 - February - 2011, at 12:36 PM

• Thank you Dr. Ritz! I was curious since I had run across an article online about dark gums possibly be an indicator of gum infection, but that seemed odd to me because my gums do not bleed and are pretty healthy looking. It's good to know some people just have darker looking gums. They're darker, but they match my cheek color inside my mouth, and because they are only on the lower half of my bottom gums, they're not noticeable to others, so I don't have a problem with them. Just wanted to make sure there were no problems and everything was healthy :) Thank you so much! I appreciate this more than you know Sarah

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 11 - February - 2011, at 08:34 AM

• If your gums are not bleeding and they look healthy and you are maintaining good oral hygiene like routine brushing and flossing then  there is no chance to have gum infection. Your dark gums in lower region may be there from very begining and you must not have noticed them. They are called dark gums and the cause is not known. Sometimes it is generalised or sometime it is in some specific area. It can be genetic also but still keep massaging gums to maintain good blood circulation to make them healthy with a gum paint which is available otc. If you are very much concerned about dark gums then you can visit your dentist. There is treatment available for dark gums. For more info on dark gums you can read the following article... www.identalhub.com/article_dark-gums-can-they-be-made-natural-pink-123.aspx

Free Dental Consultation