i had a tooth extraction 12 days ago, i was fine until after 3 days, on the outside of the gum on extraction is a lump and extremely painful. i went back to see the dentist after 7 days because it hurt so bad and she said no dry socket and gave me antibiotics. she didn't do anything more than look at the tooth and said its healing great. last night on the 11th day i felt pressure on the inside of the gum of the extraction, and pushed on it and feel a piece of tooth. the lump on the outside of the gum is painful to the touch. do you think that there is a tooth sideways in the extraction site. so basically. pain on the outside of the gum where the lump is and a piece of tooth pushing out on the other side of the gum. what is it and what should i expect when i go back to the dentist? Thank you sooo much for the help. i need the relief.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Susan

Susan 08 - May - 2012, at 19:44 PM

• I am going out of my mind. I have dry socket since 12 days. Had about 5 dressings over 5 visits put in. They come out within a couple of hours. I have been taking 3 x 200 mg advil + 1 500 mg tylenol as well as amoxil 500mg tid. Must take gravol as i am getting too nauscious. cant tolerate empercet nor tylenol 1s. Pain radiating along jaw, earbone, mouth, cheeks, etc.. Told today that I am a slow healer. I am not diabetic at least i do not think i am. I was told that normally within 2 weeks the hole should close but it has not. I wasa told that today, 12 days later that there is a bit of tissue finally going over the exposed bone and that i am a SLOW HEALER. Why would this be and how long does it take to heal. More importantly how long will it be before my pain subsides. when the packing comes out i get more pain. is it better to let the socket be empty. i also have used oral gel and cotton pea size pieces dipped in clove oil but that gives me horrific heartburn and i am not too comfortable playing around in my mouth in an area where i have no professional training. please provide some advice. Will this pain ever go away .

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 17 - January - 2011, at 20:01 PM

• If you feel there is tooth then you have to get the xray done to confirm this. Normally the tooth does not grow like that and that too so soon after the extraction. Most probably it will be the bone of the extraction socket which you are feeling. It will take some time to heal and till then you have to maintain good oral hygiene and do warm saline rinses. In my opinio you should visit your dentist and get it confirmed whether some tooth part is left by gettting the xray done.

• sharyn

sharyn 16 - January - 2011, at 11:29 AM

• i had a tooth extraction(simple extraction)on my last back tooth lower left, 12 days ago, i was fine until after 3 days, on the outside of the gum on extraction is a lump and extremely painful. i went back to see the dentist after 7 days because it hurt so bad and she said no dry socket and gave me 500mg of amoxicillian 4x's daily antibiotics. i have been on antibiotics for 5days. she didn't do anything more than look at the tooth and said its healing great. last night on the 11th day i felt pressure on the inside of the gum of the extraction, and pushed on it and feel a piece of tooth. the lump on the outside of the gum is painful to the touch. do you think that there is a tooth sideways in the extraction site. so basically. pain on the outside of the gum where the lump is and a piece of tooth pushing out on the other side of the gum. what is it and what should i expect when i go back to the dentist? Thank you sooo much for the help. i need the relief. if this is a pus formation, what is it they do to take care of this? does this require surgery?

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 16 - January - 2011, at 11:17 AM

• you have not mentioned whether the extraction was simple or surgical. In case of surgical extraction it takes around 3 weeks to heal the extraction socket. If you feel that tooth is left then you can get the X-ray done and find out but from your symptoms it looks like that the extraction socket  is infected and there is pus formation. You have not mentioned which antibiotic  you ahve taken and for how many days. You have to go to the dentist and find out the cause and if it is the dry socket then you have to get the treatment done for the same. For more info on complications after tooth extraction yiu can visit the following link....www.identalhub.com/article_what-is-a-dry-socket-155.aspx

Free Dental Consultation