My dentist says I have an abcessed tooth. That tooth has had a previous root canal procedure about 5 years ago. He says the tooth needs to be removed and replaced with a bridge. My question: Why can't I take an antibiotic for an easier long term cure. Thank you, Terry Johncock

Leave Comment

Comments

• Terry

Terry 02 - March - 2010, at 19:49 PM

• Thank you Dr. Ritz. Since I asked you the question I have gotten the same answer from another dentist. I am out of town from my personal dentist and cannot go to him for some weeks. Thank you for your advise. I really appreciated it.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 01 - March - 2010, at 20:05 PM

• If the root canal treated tooth has become infected then either you have to get it pulled out or you can go for re root caal treatment. In re root canal treatment the root canal is done again. Taking antibiotics can give you the temporary relief but it can not remove the infection. The problem will reoccur after some time. If you want to know more about the re root canal treatment you can visit the following link..........http://www.identalhub.com/article_root-canal-re-treatment-304.aspx

Free Dental Consultation