I had to have a bridge placed today that anchors off of my very back molar, replaces the front molar and is anchored to my bicuspid (I had other bicuspid extracted for orthodontia years ago). My bridge is not touching the bottom teeth at all. It feels awkward and my jaw is sore because it keeps "trying to find a place to sit" on that side so to speak. My dentist said the bridge isn't supposed to touch the bottom teeth so that it prevents it from breaking. Is this correct?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 21 - May - 2011, at 19:44 PM

• If the bridge is not touching the lower teeth at all and there is visible gap when you close the teeth then you should go to dentist and get it adjusted. Sometimes selective grinding solves the problem. If the upper teeth are not touching the lower teeth at all then chewing on that side will be a problem and food impaction can be there in lower teeth as self cleansing action because of chewing will not be there.

• Tonya Starr

Tonya Starr 19 - May - 2011, at 22:37 PM

• Can it cause any problems since it isn't touching the other teeth? Should I return to the dentist and ask for it to be remade correctly? Do dentists usually "guarantee" the work in a case such as this? Thank you for your advise also!

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 19 - May - 2011, at 10:12 AM

• Bridge are made to replace the missing natural teeth. It should simulate the natural teeth it is replacing and natural teeth touches the bottom teeth when they are in occlusion . So the bridge also sould touch the bottom teeth. It should not be high like when the bridge touches the bottom teeth the teeth of the other side do not meet. The bridge should touch the bottom teeth like natural teeth only then you will be able to chew. The bridge do not break by masticatory forces if they are properly made. For more info on dental bridge you can visit the following linkwww.identalhub.com/articlecategory-crowns-bridges-22.aspx

Free Dental Consultation