Good Morning, I just recently noticed that there is a slight indent at the bottom of 2 of my lower jaw teeth (only in the front side of the teeth), it’s the fourth tooth from the back on either side but both teeth next to them (third from the back) have been extracted some time back. I don’t seem to be feeling any pain from these teeth but when feeling the indent with my nail the area is very sensitive. It’s almost as if i took cotton and ran this side to side creating the indent and it’s just before my gum at the bottom of the tooth. I have felt the tooth at the base of the gum and it seems as if the indent is just before the gum but it doesn’t go into my gum. I need to know if this is normal or if i should go see the dentist in this regard as I’m not really feeling any pain or discomfort, i just came across this by chance the other day when feeling the front of the tooth with my tongue. There are also no signs of a cavity when looking at the tooth, there is just a indent which I’m worried could result in something worse if i don’t have it seen to. Please give me some advice. Thanks. Tyrel

Leave Comment

• Tyrel

Tyrel 01 - September - 2011, at 01:15 AM

• Thank you very much for your advice and feedback. This is much appreciated and makes sense to me. Thank you once again.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 01 - September - 2011, at 00:52 AM

• The indent is not normal. Indent present at the bottom of the tooth near the gums is known as cervical abrasions which occurs mostly due to vigorous brushing and intake of more of acidic foods like aerated drinks, soft drinks etc. The indent on the tooth is causing the sensitivity. It is just an indent initially but after some time it will deepen and will become a cavity and may extend to the pulp and will cause pain and sensitivity and weakening of the tooth. You have to consult a dentist for this and get the treatment done. Your dentist can restore it with composite material which is the tooth colored filling material and is esthetic. Glass ionomer cement filling material can also be used for restoration of cavities which are present around the gums. If there is sensitivity present in that area, then you can use a desensitizing tooth paste for this. Maintain a good oral hygiene and don’t allow any deposits in the area of indent which can lead to infections.  For more info on types of tooth wear, you can refer to the following article..

Free Dental Consultation