I have an area on the lower gums, back tooth, it has been swollen, not red, not hot, not painful to the touch for several days. I have been using Amosan, water pic, dental floss, etc., in case it was a piece of nut, food, etc. The swollen area is slightly larger, but not any more red and it is not sore when I chew or bite. It is uncomfortable when I eat, but I'm not sure it's from being "obsessed" with it, or something else. It is in an area where I've had bridges and a root canal. I was born missing some of my back teeth. I am concerned that it might be an abscess... and it's Christmas Eve.... Any ideas? If you think it's an abscess, do I have time to wait until Monday morning to go see my dentist? Thanks, Wendy

Leave Comment

Comments

• Wendy

Wendy 25 - December - 2010, at 07:11 AM

• Thank you so much for your timely and good advice. I shall do as you suggest. I shall also tell everyone about this site. Wendy

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 24 - December - 2010, at 20:36 PM

• If the area is not painful and the swelling is not increasing then you can wait till monday but make sure to maintain very good oral hygeie and do warm saline rinses 2 to 3 times a day.From your description it looks like as it is because of some gum infection due to the lodgement of food in the bridge area as it is a comon problem. So try to keep the area very clean and visit your dentist ASAP. For more info on complications after crown and bridge you can visit the following link...www.identalhub.com/article_problems-after-crown-placement-272.aspx

Free Dental Consultation