I am 23 years old and I have recently had problems with a very weird sensation. After I floss or when I eat I have this feeling like my teeth are popping or clicking. It is very annoying but on top of that i am worried my teeth may be loose. It is mostly my top front four teeth. I have dealt with problems with gingivitis and I am worried that is part of the problem. I bleed alot when I floss and brush. I brush twice a day with an electric toothbrush but I slack sometimes on flossing. When I floss regularly the bleeding stops but it makes the teeth have the popping sensation more. How serious is this and can it be fixed? Other things of importance I should note is that I breathe through my mouth a lot so my mouth stays dry, I wear a retainer at night and while dentists say I should floss more they never seem worried about my teeth but I have not been back since the popping started. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 03 - September - 2011, at 20:16 PM

• from your symptoms it looks like that you are having gum problem called as gingivitis. It is mainly due to poor oral hygiene or deposits on the teeth. People who are mouth breathers and on top of it, wearing retainers like you, are more prone to this. So you really have to take good care of your gums. You should get the treatment for mouth breathing which depends on the cause of mouth breathing. If you have some nasal obstructions or short lips then normally one has mouth breathing. For this you have to schedule a visit to dentist who after clinical examination will do the treatment after diagnosing the cause of mouth breathing. for this popping and clicking sound, you can along with brushing and flossing, do warm saline rinses 2-3 times a day and can use some good gum paint available otc or you can use some good antimicrobial mouthwash. If the sensation of popping and clicking continues then you have to visit dentist who will do scaling, cleaning and polishing to take care of this. For more info on gum diseases you can read this article... http://www.identalhub.com/article_signs-and-symptoms-of-gum-disease-20.aspx

Free Dental Consultation