Hello, My boyfriend was showing signs of a yellow tongue about 8 days ago, a couple days later I had a bit of yellowness at the back of my tongue, and now it appears white and hairy. I understand these are the tongue papillae that have not shed and grown to long due to bacteria from what I have read. It has been over 8 days and his tongue is still yellow and hairy in appearance and for the last couple days my tongue is white and hairy in appearance. We have used tongue scrapers, hydrogen peroxide, mouthwashes, salt water, vinegar, teeth/tongue brushing. None of these seem to lessen the appearance and it can not be brushed off. How long will this take to go away, should we see a dentist, and what other treatments would you suggest?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 26 - August - 2011, at 01:35 AM

• The discolored and hairy tongue can be because of poor oral hygiene, tongue thrush or can be because of any other reason. It can also be because of some medication which often causes variation in the bacterial content in the mouth.  It is better if you consult a dentist for this. Till then, continue with the warm saline rinses and cleaning the tongue with a tongue scrapper on the front and the back portion of the tongue. Quit smoking and drinking as they aggravate the microbial content in the mouth. You have to maintain a good oral hygiene for this. An antimicrobial mouthwash can also be used to reduce the count of bacteria in the oral cavity. Without clinical examination, it is difficult to give a definite diagnosis so you can visit a dentist for this. For more info on maintaining good oral hygiene, you can refer to the following article… http://www.identalhub.com/article_good-oral-hygiene-231.aspx

Free Dental Consultation