I think probably about a few years ago, I got a dental filling for my first molar tooth. The cavity was large,so the filling was quite large too. Then I noticed that when I was eating one day, part of my tooth fractured and I figured that it was because of the large fillings that my tooth was no longer able to support it.Then just now,the cusp also fractured.So now the molar tooth is greatly severed, it has a large cavity (because the filling fell off when the side of the tooth fractured) and it also loses one cusp.I want to know the treatment options.So far I haven't been to any dentists because honestly, I'm afraid of dentists.Thanks in advance for helping.

Leave Comment


  • Dr.Ritz

    Dr.Ritz 01 - September - 2011, at 23:18 PM

  • If you have large cavity and one of the cusps of the tooth is fractured, then you can go for root canal treatment of that tooth followed by the capping. Root canal treatment is a procedure in which the nerve which causes pain is removed and is replaced by a filling material. The tooth becomes brittle after the root canal so capping is done after the root canal treatment. There are metallic, porcelain and metal fused to porcelain capping available. If it is a molar tooth, then you can opt for metal fused to porcelain capping which is tooth colored. If there is vertical fracture of the tooth, then tooth removal may be required and if a large amount of tooth structure is lost, then post and core procedure is done.  There is nothing to be scared about the procedure. It is done under local anesthesia and will not cause any pain. Consult your dentist asap and get the treatment done for the tooth before it breaks further. By that time, don’t allow any food deposits there which can later on cause pain. Maintain a good oral hygiene. For more info on types of dental crowns, you can refer to the following article… http://www.identalhub.com/article_types-of-dental-crowns-268.aspx

Free Dental Consultation