I saw a dentist 1 week ago and was told I needed a root canal, however they do not perform such procedures & recommended I see an Endodontist. Unfortunately, after that visit, most offices closed for the Christmas holiday. I am only in town for 2 days before I fly to Chicago on Dec. 30th. I am wondering about the time sensitivity involved regarding a tooth that needs a root canal. Will I likely be okay to wait until I return home in 2 weeks? OR, should I try to scramble and get the root canal done in the next day? I am also nervous about the effects of flying & changes in air pressure on a tooth that has recently had a root canal performed. Thanks!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 29 - December - 2010, at 09:54 AM

• Whether to get the Root Canal Treatment done now or to wait for it fo 2 weeks depends on the extent of decay and amount of infection. If the infection is acute then you should try to get it done asap (as soon as possible). But if the infection is chronic and there is no pain now and no swelling and you are on some antibiotics then you can wait for some time but during waiting time also you have to maintain good oral hygiene and avoid eating from that side. After getting the RCT done, the tooth takes sometime to settle down and it is painful and tender. After root canal treatment done, you should get the crown fixed on tooth otherwise the tooth can break as it becomes brittle after RCT. So you have to see that and fit this in your schedule. For more info on root canal, you can check the following link in our website throwing more light on the problem posed by you... www.identalhub.com/article_why-is-root-canal-treatment-rct-required-299.aspx

Free Dental Consultation