I am 25 years old and my bottom right wisdom tooth is coming in. It is causing a lot of pain and a couple of days ago I noticed a bump on the gum below the wisdom tooth. I am concerned that it could be and infection. What could have caused this and should I see a dentist have it examined?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 01 - February - 2011, at 19:53 PM

• If there is bump in the gums below the wisdom tooth there is a possiility of gum infection as it is difficult to clean that area especially when the wisdom tooth is erupting. It is called the pericoronitis. If you are in lot of pain then you must visit the dentist to fimd out whether there is sufficient space for the eroption of the wisdom tooth or not and secondly whether the angulation of the erupting tooth is correct. In other words we can say that we have to find out whether the wisdom tooth is impacted or not. If it is impacted then may be you have to go for the extraction of the tooth but if it is not impacted and the bump on the gum is because of the infection then you have to maintain good hygeine in that area and do warm saline rinses 2 to 3 times a day. For more info on wisdom teeth you can visit the follwing link.....www.identalhub.com/dental-knowing-all-about-wisdom-teeth-719.aspx

Free Dental Consultation