im 18 and over the past week ive been having pain opening my mouth due to one of my wisdom teeth coming in and i would like to know what i should do about it and if i need it extracted.

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 02 - December - 2011, at 03:43 AM

• Difficulty in mouth opening can be because of wisdom tooth eruption. If there is not enough space for wisdom tooth to erupt, then tooth is impacted. Impacted wisdom tooth causes pain in the back of the jaws which may also be radiating to head and neck and causes swelling of the gums and jaws. If wisdom tooth is impacted or is infected or is poking the soft tissue or causes any other problems, then extraction of wisdom tooth is done. Wisdom teeth don’t aid in mastication and are susceptible to infections as it is difficult to clean till the wisdom tooth so wisdom teeth are mostly extracted. You can visit your dentist to get your wisdom tooth evaluated. Dentist will take an x-ray to see the positioning of wisdom tooth and if tooth is impacted, then surgical tooth extraction can be done for wisdom tooth. By the time you visit your dentist, you can do warm saline rinses 3-4 times a day. You can also take OTC anti-inflammatory meds to reduce the swelling. Avoid any food accumulates around the wisdom tooth which will aggravate the swelling and pain. For more info on wisdom teeth, refer to….

Free Dental Consultation