I don't have insurance right now but I really need braces. I have an overbite, a bit of crowding in the front on the bottom row with caused some teeth to become crooked. I also have a medium size gap I want close or made smaller. How long would it possibly take to fix that? Also, how long would I need a retainer, rubber bands, et cetera?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 27 - July - 2011, at 10:40 AM

• It will take around 18-24 months to correct the overbite and the gap. However many factors affect the treatment time like age, overbite percentage and frequecy of breakage of wires / brackets during treatment. If during treatment you take good care and follow all the instruction given by Orthodontist then it will take minimum time ie 18-24 months.

• Mahalakshmi G

Mahalakshmi G 27 - July - 2011, at 01:25 AM

• Hi, I have an overbite with medium sized gaps between the central and latersal incisors(upper row). My lower teeth order is good except for the first 2 teeth is in front for just 1 mm.So how long will it take for correcting my teeth order with braces?

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 21 - January - 2011, at 20:20 PM

• Normally the braces treatment takes around 18 to 24 months but the treatment time can increase or decrease according to the case. The duration of rubber band depends upon the amount of overbite you have. Initially the dentist will align the teeth and try to close the gaps and in the final stage, the overbite is corrected. About retainers, again initially for 6 months, retainers have to be worn day and night. After that gradually the duration is lessened and then you have to wear retainers at night. For how long you have to wear the retainers depends on the type of treatment you had. Somtimes retainers have to be worn life time. You have the choice of fixed retainers, in which retainers are put at back of teeth and are not visible. It is better to get the braces treatment done at early stage as with advancing age, the duration of the treatment time increases and chances of relapse are also more. For more info on braces, you can read this article... www.identalhub.com/dental-things-to-know-before-getting-dental-braces-764.aspx

Free Dental Consultation