I have a root canaled tooth that is capped -- it does not hurt but the dentist says it has decayed and I will need to get it removed. HE says there is no harm if I leave it in until I can afford to pay for a bridge. Is this true

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 14 - January - 2012, at 04:29 AM

• Infection can occur in root canal treated tooth. In case of poor case selection or if root canal treatment is not done properly, then failure of root canal treatment can take place. Undetected canal in tooth, unexpected number of root canals, resistant bacteria in root canal, cracked root, defective root canal restoration, broken instrument in root canal etc can lead to failure of root canal treatment. In case of root canal failure, mild to severe pain occurs or edema of gums neighboring the tooth occurs. In case of root canal failure, re-root canal treatment, surgical endodontic therapy (Apicoectomy) or tooth extraction is required. If prognosis of root canal treated tooth is poor, then tooth extraction is done and the missing tooth can be replaced with dental implants or dental bridge. If root canal failure has occurred and the root canal treated tooth is infected, then treatment should be done for infected tooth. Infection if not removed with spread to adjacent tissues. Without clinical examination and without seeing the x-rays, it is difficult to give definite diagnosis. It would be better to take a second opinion. For more info on root canal failure, refer to……    http://www.identalhub.com/article_what-if-root-canal-treatment-fails-303.aspx

Free Dental Consultation