Hello, I had a root canal many years ago. The tooth has given me minor problems over those years ... one dentist suspected a crack and another that the nerve in a root of the tooth may not have been thoroughly cleaned out. Recently, I've felt a rough edge with my tongue and was told (and saw an x-ray) that the gum has receded around the crown and one root of the tooth. This same dentist is the one that suspected a nerve may not have been fully removed, as there is a "kink" in the root. Regardless, I am getting food caught around the exposed edge of the crown and am beginning to feel small amounts of pain in that area. This dentist only does routine, simple procedures, so has told me I will need to see someone else to truly discover and resolve the problem. What type of professional should I see for this? An endodontist, a dental surgeon ...? Also, I am a HUGE medical wimp and have had nothing but bad experiences in my 51 years with dentists. I am better when I am more-prepared for what will happen on my visits. Would someone be able to tell me what I might expect in the treatment of this problem? Thank you in advance for your time and assistance, Andrea

Leave Comment


  • Dr.Ritz

    Dr.Ritz 19 - May - 2011, at 10:30 AM

  • If gap has developed between the filling and the gum and food impaction is there then you have to get the old crown changed with the new one. This happens some times when the gums receede around the tooth exposing the roots. In such cases the old crown is removed and the new one is made which cover the exposed surface of the roots. For more info on dental crowns you can visit the following link.....vhttp://www.identalhub.com/article_problems-after-crown-placement-272.aspx

Free Dental Consultation